ICC says Amir won't appeal to CAS to overturn ban
Updated: March 02, 2012, 10:52
Send to a friend
ISLAMABAD (AP) Suspended Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Amir won't pursue an appeal to sport's highest court to overturn his five-year ban, the International Cricket Council said Thursday.
The ICC e-mailed The Associated Press to say that Amir informed the sport's governing body of his decision last week.
"Mohammad Amir told the ICC last week that he will not be appealing against his five-year ban," an ICC spokesman said.
Amir returned home on Sunday having served half of his six-month prison sentence after being found guilty of spot-fixing in a test against England at Lord's in 2010.
The left-arm paceman hasn't spoken publicly since returning home with his lawyer, Sajida Malik.
Then-captain Salman Butt and swing bowler Mohammad Asif were also found guilty on corruption charges and are currently in jail. They have been banned from playing cricket for a minimum of five years.
All three filed appeals to CAS in 2011, but did not request a date for any hearing because they were occupied with a court case in England over corruption charges.
Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Zaka Ashraf said on Thursday that 19-year-old Amir would be considered for a return to international cricket once his ban expires.
"He has so much talent that he could have become a great fast bowler," Ashraf told reporters. "Unfortunately the incident happened in England and ICC banned him for five years. We will definitely consider him once his ban is over."
Ashraf also promised to involve Amir in various rehabilitation programs which could pave the way for the fast bowler to return to cricket before his ban ends in September 2015 - provided the ICC Board allows it.
Updated March 1, 2012
By RIZWAN ALI
AP Sports Writer